Sunday, May 10, 2009

Sabali :: Amadou & Mariam

Ooh, so I'm a naughty music blogger.  I've been all caught up lately in my other blogging project, Affairs of Living.  Since food is only slightly more vital to life than music, that blog has been taking priority lately.  

But I'm back!  And I will try to write more often!  Hell, I'll try to write at all.  I don't think I've posted since sometime late last year... yikes.

Okay, there's a lot of great stuff out there right now.  The Decemberists, Beirut, White Rabbits, Grizzly Bear, Hot Chip, Andrew Bird, P.O.S., Camera Obscura, The Bird and the Bee, oh my where to begin, and that's just a start. 

I'm going to choose something just slightly less expected, and go for a song from the latest album from Amadou & Mariam, the legendary husband and wife duo from Mali.
Fellow blogger Aimée introduced me to Amadou & Mariam last year; she sent me back from Decorah with a burned copy of their 2005 album Dimanche à Bamako for the ride home.  I fell in love and listened to it oh-so-often.
Then not long after, I started hearing tracks from their latest album, Welcome to Mali, and it was just released in March.  While I really dig the whole album, I'm highlighting the first track, "Sabali".  It is so beautiful.   I love the way the way it builds, the sparkling electronic beats with the light, shimmery vocals, leading into the crazy arpeggios and trancy vocals.  Watch the video, Mariam so beautiful, and get lost in the sound.  



 I hope you enjoyed!  

No comments: