Thursday, January 1, 2009

Imperfect :: Jen Wood

I love watching movies, especially after a night like last night! Happy 2009! I spent the day recovering on my couch, watching old movies including one of my personal favorites, "But I'm A Cheerleader" circa 1999. This time watching it, I was particularly struck by the films theme song, "Glass Vase Cello Case" by Tattle Tale. So I went exploring for the song online and found Jen Wood, one half of the Tattle Tale duo, and local Seattleite. Upon further exploration of her music, I feel like I've found a gem in Jen Wood!

So, in the spirit of celebrating local music, LISTEN TO JEN WOOD! Musically, I think she's somewhere between Brandi Carlile and Maria Taylor. Jen has Maria's calm vocal styling, but sings about love and life in the same honesty as Brandi. (And yes, we know each other on a first-name basis).





Here's one of my favorite songs: Imperfect, released on her second album "No More Wading."

Enjoy!
-Vincent

p.s., She's makin my gaydar go off. thoughts?



Lyrics:

I love my words
that have spilled into song
all of my words
that have come out wrong
I often lose my grace and spit it aloud
I often lose my face and put my foot in my mouth
sometimes it seems easier to leave everything unsaid
but it only gets worse if it stays in your head
and I look back and listen to the words that I've said
and yeah, I must admit I disagree with some of them

So don't peer over my shoulder as if I'm hiding a flaw
I never said I was perfect
so, why don't you back off?
so, don't peer over my shoulder as if I'm hiding a flaw
I never said I was perfect
so, why don't you back off?

No comments: