Sunday, January 4, 2009

Everywhere :: Common

Going against highlighting local musicians, I'm blogging about "Everywhere" on Common's newest album, Universal Mind Control.


I first fell in love with Common after hearing his song "Be (Intro)". It's one of those songs that I like to come home to after a stressful day dealing with what Staceyann Chin describes as "that bell hooksian urge to kill motherfuckers who say stupid shit to me." It's unbelievable how much Common can say about race, gender, and justice in a two and a half minute album introduction. And (despite some of the controversy surrounding one of his songs on interracial relationships) that's what I like most about Common--he believes music is a vehicle for change, and he lives it.

Common has been a vegetarian in support of animal rights. He has stood up against anti-gay lyrics after receiving criticism from some in the LGBT community. He was a notable supporter of Barack Obama in the "Yes We Can" ad campaign. And (a shameless plug for my organization), Common has worked with Campus Progress to speak about the intersection of hip-hop and the progressive youth movement at Clarion University's Hip-Hop Symposium. (oh, and he's sexy as hell).

Born Lonnie Rashid Lynn, Jr., Common was a celebrated underground rapper in the South Side of Chicago. He studied at Southern University of Baton Rouge, LA and Florida A&M University before breaking into the mainstream for his album, Be.
(See details on his wiki page.)

With that said, it's a bit unfortunate that Universal Mind Control lost some of the activist flair that brought Common fame from his underground followers. "Everywhere" features Martina Topley-Bird, a British singer with Independiente Records in the same vein as Bjork. But I love "Everywhere" -- it has this indie pop feel with a hip-hop twist.

Enjoy!
-Vincent

p.s., who else thought his cameo in Wanted with Angelina Jolie was a little awkward?



Lyrics:


Chorus:
How did you know I've been waiting for this time to come?
And though it tastes like forever,
it may not stay long.
Everywhere is summer. (x4)

A shaman since before my birth
And I came down to rock the Earth.
My mission condition:
I give you, you listen.
I'm syncing in time in parallel.
In binary, no 3rd return.
I'm planning intention.
With all the redemption.

Chorus:
How did you know I've been waiting for this time to come?
And though it tastes like forever,
it may not stay long.
Everywhere is summer. (x4)

Common:
No pop, no pop, no pop, no pop.
We gon' do this thang till the sky just drop.
Lock in to ya mind away we rock,
In a rocket is the 87th astronaut.
Top of the soul, dove and I got in a hole.
At the moment they were sayin
"It was outa control"
Strap in to your mind
Why eyes see some recline
Youll see in time your season to shine.
When the stadium is dark
MCs are defined.
Get ready, on your mark, put your feet on the line.
The race is on to space beyond
You gon' get there by doin what you want
Sometimes the most famous feel all alone.
So we drift to a place that we call our home.
I was known as being spaced and outta my dome.
now I know, its all Ive known.

Chorus:
How did you know I've been waiting for this time to come?
And though it tastes like forever,
it may not stay long.
Everywhere is summer. (x4)

No comments: