Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I Need Some Sleep :: The Eels

Early post for Wednesday, hurray! So I know I've already blogged about the Eels. But I really enjoy them. Strangely enough, even though this song is about insomnia, it is one of those songs that makes me feel less stressed and sleepy and helps my brain wind down enough to sleep sometimes. I think it's a combination of the slight distortion, the repetitive keyboard part, and the general feeling of it'll be ok, really, that the song has. And lately the song has actually been quite useful. I've been extremely stressed for the past few weeks about my senior paper/Midwest Sociological Society meeting presentation, talking to my parents about transitioning (again), potentially coming out to my brother and sister, not to mention regular day to day school and extracurricular stuff.
Also, the first time I ever heard this song was when I watched the movie Shrek 2 for the first time. It's in this scene where Shrek is laying awake at night and obsessing over the fact that he's not the knight in shining armor for Fiona. When really, she didn't need some "perfect" knight in shining armor to come and sweep her off her feet.
Of course, since it's a kids movie, everything gets resolved in the end either way. So he probably didn't need to lose sleep, he should've just noticed that even though he's an ogre, he's the hero and the hero does always get the girl in the end. Or the ogress. end sidenote.
So, enjoy, and remember that sometimes you just gotta let it go. And go to sleep.






I need some sleep
It can't go on like this
I tried counting sheep
But there's one I always miss
Everyone says I'm getting down too low
Everyone says you just gotta let it go
You just gotta let it go
You just gotta let it go

I need some sleep
Time to put the old horse down
I'm in too deep
And the wheels keep spinning 'round
Everyone says I'm getting' down too low
Everyone says you just gotta let it go
You just gotta let it go
You just gotta let it go
You just gotta let it go

No comments: