Thursday, October 23, 2008

Strange Form of Life :: Bonnie "Prince" Billy


I have a major thing for musically-inclined men with facial hair. Like Devendra Banhart. Or Samuel Beam (of Iron & Wine fame). Or Bonnie "Prince" Billy.

Just to name a few.

Bonnie "Prince" Billy is the recording name of Will Oldham, a Louisville born and bred musician that has been performing since the early 90s. His music is hard to categorize, a little folk, a little roots, a little Americana, a little something all his own.

I didn't know anything about him until two years ago, when his album The Letting Go came out. I listened to it pretty obsessively. It defined the fall of 2006. I've always meant to check out his stuff from years and years ago, I'm still only really familiar with stuff from the last 5-6 years or so.

Anyway, the change of seasons recently pushed me back to this album, and I had to share one of my favorite tunes from the album, "Strange Form of Life". This song makes me ache a little inside, I think it is so beautiful, but there is something somber about this song that pains me. It is haunting and gorgeous. Rather like his impressive moustache...

Here's the video. Odd. It isn't what I would have imagined. But none of his videos are.



Lyrics:
a strange form of life
kicking through windows
rolling on yards

heading in loved ones' triggering eyes
a strange one

and a hard way to come into a cabin
into the weather
into a path
walking together
a hard one

and the softest lips ever
25 years of waiting to kiss them
smiling and waiting
to bend down and kiss twice
the softest lips

in a dark little room
across the nation
you found myself racing
forgetting the strange and the hard
and the soft kiss
in the dark room

and a strange form of life
kicking through windows
rolling on yards

heading in loved ones' triggering eyes
a strange one



I hope you enjoyed it.

XOXO
Kim

No comments: