Thursday, October 16, 2008

Sprung :: David Brusie

Let's talk new. Let's talk local. Let's talk Minneapolis musician David Brusie and his new album Flyover State. And in doing so, let's plug his CD release show Friday night (TOMORROW!!!) at The Beat in Minneapolis. And if we're going to bring that up, let's make sure to point out that none other than much-blogged-about Jayber Crow is also sharing the bill!

I have known Brusie for a couple of years through, uh, our adult person jobs that pay the bills. But I didn't know until recently that he has been performing in the Twin Cities for a few years now, as a musician and with theater-comedy troupe Brave New Workshop. Admittedly, despite my curiousity and best intentions, I hadn't checked out his new album Flyover State until last weekend. After I did, I kicked myself that I hadn't done it earlier, especially after my mournful post last week about the lack of inspiring music coming my way.

A little pop, a little rock, a little folk, and awfully catchy, Flyover State is a solid piece of work. The album boasts an impressive 13 tracks, drawing from a range of influences. Brusie's lyrics are interesting, some pensive, some funny. This album is easy to listen to, but also engaging - this is more than just another indie pop rock background filler album. I'm looking forward to see what Brusie does in the upcoming year.

So, without further adieu, today's song o' the day is "Sprung", the opening track from Flyover State. Well produced and complete with hand claps and catchy rifts, it is effervescent and brings a smile to my face.

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN ON DAVID'S MYSPACE!

Lyrics - David Brusie, "Sprung"
The hours, the waking hours for the walking wounded
Dead flowers underfoot with sunlight overhead
It's all beginning
And this time I'm here

This time it's all been sprung
From what's been punctured
This time it's all been done
And it all looks so vaguely familiar
And I missed you when I was gone
I walked away the moment I saw me
But I missed you when I was gone

Goodnight to all the demons and restrictors
And now good morning to those who watched me fade
The air's returning
To forgotten lungs

This time it's all been sprung
From what's been punctured
This time it's all been done
And the second hand reverses from curses
And I missed you when I was gone
You may have missed me, I was under the surface
But I missed you when I was gone

You're fast asleep, I'm wide awake
You're slow to rise, I'm fast to break
The days are short, the nights are long
And I missed you when I was gone
You're fast asleep, I'm wide awake
You're slow to rise, I'm fast to break
The days are short, the nights are long
And I missed you when I was gone


Want to hear more? Head on over to The Beat tomorrow night for a great night of locally grown music! As a bonus, if you are already a Jayber Crow fan, tomorrow is a rare opportunity to see a local show. Sure, you could go see Jayber Crow with Cloud Cult the next night at St. John's, but why not see them here in Minneapolis instead? If you don't know Jayber Crow yet, look them up starting with this very blog, because you are in for a real treat.


David Brusie Flyover State Release Show
Friday, October 17, 2008
with special guests Jayber Crow and Anthony Newes

The Beat
1414 W 28th St, Mpls
$6 admission

Be there or be square, folks.
XOXO
Kim

No comments: