Monday, August 18, 2008

Si no te hubieras ido :: Mana

As my friend Stacey and I drove through California's interior last week, we had the opportunity to experience many, many Spanish-language radio stations. Several times, this song gave us a respite from the constant wampa-wampa-wampa of the banda music.

Mana is not in any way an "indie" or "emerging group"- they are HUGE in Latin America, and have been for a long time. They are like the Mexican Bon Jovi. Or Aerosmith. Or some other band that rocks out but not too hard for the radio.

When this song came on, I had a weird deja vu feeling. The song seemed amazingly familiar; in fact, I even started singing along to it in places. I knew it was a cover of something I'd heard before... Turns out that this is one of the most covered songs on iTunes. It's amazing; type in the song title, and you can hear over 50 versions of it, in every style imaginable. I recommend that you do that; it's actually pretty cute and fun.

It's not a revolutionary song. It's just about missing someone. The lyrics are a little heart-breaking in their sparseness. "Te extrano mas que nunca y no se que hacer/ Despierto y recuerdo en el amanecer" I miss you more than ever / I wake and remember you at daybreak... La gente pasa y pasa siempre tan igual/ El ritmo de la vida me parece mal. The people pass and pass always just the same / The rhythm of life seems wrong to me "Era tan diferente cuando estabas tu..." It was so different when you were here. No hay nada mas dificil que vivir sin ti... There's nothing harder than living without you.


No comments: