Saturday, April 5, 2008

Day Old Hate :: City and Colour

Guest Blogger::Yusef

If you haven't heard of Dallas Green, from the band Alexisonfire, and his brilliant side project City & Colour, you are for shiz missing out on the greatest album of the year: Bring Me Your Love, released in Feb 2008.

Yes, I know it's only April, but I know a classic when I hear one. Well at least by my standards. I hate saying "if you like x, then you'll like y," but it's so helpful: so if you dig Damien Rice, Bright Eyes and Ryan "not Bryan" Adams, you will def dig City & Colour. I want to talk about his song "Day Old Hate," from his debut Sometimes. That album is a collection of songs, and doesn't really compare to how friggin brilliant Bring Me Your Love is, but one song on there, I just can't shake it. It slays me every time, as Mz. DiFranco, once says. It's called "Day Old Hate," and it's hypnotic.

For me, I know I love a song when I can play it ad nauseum over and over again, sometimes even overnight. I like "Day Old Hate" because it's multi-layered, it transitions from one mood to another and questions the chaotic craziness of relationships and breakups.



Day Old Hate::Dallas Green
So let's face it, this was never what you wanted
But I know it's fun to pretend
Now blank stares and empty threats
Are all I have
They’re all I have…

So drown me if you can
Or we could just have conversation
and I fall, I fall, I falter.
But I found you before I drift away

Now you still speak of day old hate
Though your whole world has gone up into flames
And isn’t it great to find that you’re really worth nothing
And how safe it is to feel safe

So drown me if you can
Or we could just have conversation
And I fall, I fall, I falter.
But I found you before I drift away

The things we do just to stay alive
The things we do just to stay alive
The things we do just to stay alive

The things we do just to keep ourselves alive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i just think the same as u do about this song. i cried 2 hours yesterday after hearing it...it's just wonderful.