Thursday, March 27, 2008

White Winter Hymnal :: Fleet Foxes


"Can you show me the hottest local disc you are selling right now? Your favorite. The most popular. Whatever, just the album or band that everyone is talking about." I wanted to know.

He walked me over to the local rack, cocked his head with his hands on his hips, and thought for moment. Then he pointed. "This one. It is my favorite on this rack, it just came out. And everyone's talking about it."

I just returned yesterday on the red-eye from visiting a friend in Seattle, and came back laden with music. The city totally won me over, due in part to the thriving music scene. The local favorite suggested by the record store clerk? Fleet Foxes' recently released 5 song EP Sun Giant. After performing for a year or two around Seattle, this band performed at SXSW, was favorably reviewed by Pitchfork, and is currently touring with Blitzen Trapper (Minneapolis on April 9 at 7th St Entry - if you want to go, post a comment! I'll be there, this show will be awesome.). According to one article I read, they are firmly denying that they are hippies, this is apparently an issue of contention. I don't care if they are hippies or not, Fleet Foxes puts out some great music.

The song I'm featuring, "White Winter Hymnal" is amazing; it isn't on the EP, in fact, it is a featured song from their full-length album due out in June (just announced Tuesday!). I came across this song yesterday while investigating the EP, which got major play in the car while traveling around Seattle and on my iTunes back at work ("English House" and caffeine pulled me through my post-redeye flight coma). Anyway, once I heard "White Winter Hymnal", the deal was sealed. I can't wait for the album, I've listened to this song about 600 times today. This is beautiful music, plain and simple, packed into a brief little song and it gives me delightful little goosebumps everythime I hear it - and I enjoy the odd piano section at the end.





Lyrics:

I was following the pack
all swallowed in their coats
with scarves of red tied ’round their throats
to keep their little heads
from fallin’ in the snow
And I turned ’round and there you go!
And, Michael, you would fall
and turn the white snow red as strawberries
in the summertime


Want to know more about Fleet Foxes?
Myspace - http://www.myspace.com/fleetfoxes



XOXO
Kim

2 comments:

B said...

Wow, Kim! So good.

.:m-e-g-g-o:. said...

agreed! so, so, so good!