Monday, March 10, 2008

Shine::Dolly Parton

I chose this song because I think we need some country on here! I'll be honest in that country is not my favorite genre of music, but I did grow up with it, so I have a certain amount of nostalgia for artists like Dolly Parton. I grew up resenting country music because it was "hick" and represented the ignorance I saw all around me. However, now I've softened myself to it quite a bit.

I have two reasons I understand for this softening. One is that country music is all about loss and yearning and hope. Just think about it- country artists had to leave everything they knew just to pursue their art. I can certainly identify with that. When I hear country music, I think about my childhood on a farm and think about all the things I had to give up just to be the awesome person that I am today. Another thing is that country music is probably the most accesible kind of music in our society. (I owe that realization to Chuck Klosterman from "Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs." Good book. You should read it.) The three-chord progession, the twangy vocals in vernacular, the middle-of-the-road subject matter, basically everything country music is derided for, also makes it incredibly catchy and easy to understand. Sometimes I catch myself singing along to a country song I've only heard once before or haven't heard in 15 years. It's that easy to learn!

Dolly Parton's version of "Shine" is a great example of how country music makes a song accesible. Probably you've heard the original version of "Shine" by Collective Soul, but did you understand all the lyrics? Dolly completely transformed that song for me. I liked it before, but now I understand it. She turned it into a great song for me.


Teach me how to speak
Teach me how to share
Tell me where to go,
and tell me
Will love be there?
Will love be there?


Love, in all its forms, is a precious commodity in our day and age...





Give me a word
Give me a sign
Show me where to look
Tell what will I find ( will I find )
Lay me on the ground
Fly me in the sky
Show me where to look
Tell me what will I find ( will I find )

Oh, heaven let your light shine down (x4)

Love is in the water
Love is in the air
Show me where to go
Tell me will love be there ( love be there )
Teach me how to speak
Teach me how to share
Teach me where to go
Tell me will love be there ( love be there )

Oh, heaven let your light shine down (x4)

Im going to let it shine (x2)
Heavens little light gonna shine on me
Yea yea heavens little light gonna shine on me
Its gonna shine, shine on me
Its gonna shine, come on in shine

1 comment:

gitfiddler said...

Blogger gitfiddler said...

Whoa! I didn't know Nickel Creek was the backup for this one! Sweet! And that explains the rip roarin' rock out in the middle.
The thing that I love about so much country is that these musicians know their shit.

And there's something about Dolly Parton that just blasts optimism and strength at everything. Kudos to her for that.

Thanks for posting this, Brendita!